Binomial name of coriander is Coriandrum sativum. Coriander also called Cilantro, Chinese parsley or Dhania (also spelled as dhanya), is a very powerful herb with multiple health benefits. Coriander is an herb with edible leaves and seeds, the most common ingredient in cooking all over the world and most popular in India, South Asia and Mediterranean region. Coriander is also known for its medicinal properties.
Coriander Leaves Nutritional value:
Coriander or cilantro is a wonderful source of manganese, iron, magnesium and dietary fiber as well. Moreover, coriander / cilantro leaves are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K and protein. They also contain minor amounts of phosphorous, thiamin, potassium, calcium, carotene and niacin.
Coriander Leaves and Seeds Health Benefits:
Coriander leaves and coriander seeds have many health benefits which are mentioned below
1. Coriander increases the levels of good cholesterol (HDL) and lowers the level of bad cholesterol (LDL)
2. Coriander is very good for our digestive system. Promotes Bowel Moments and liver functions.
3. Coriander is very good for diabetes patients. It helps in lowering the blood sugar levels and can stimulate the insulin secretion.
4. Vitamin K present in Coriander is good for the treatment of Alzheimer’s.
5. Vitamin A (fat soluble vitamin and antioxidant) present in Coriander protects our body from lung and cavity cancers.
6. Anti-inflammatory properties of Coriander helps to fight against inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
7. Anti-septic properties of coriander helps in curing mouth ulcers.
8. Coriander is very good for the eyes. Antioxidants present in coriander prevent eye diseases and problems. It is a very good remedy in the treatment of conjunctivitis.
9. Coriander seeds are good for the menstrual flow.
10. Coriander is very good herb to promote the nervous system. It helps stimulate the memory.
11. Coriander is very good for skin as it helps to cure skin problems such as dry skin, pimples, eczema, pimples and blackheads.
12. Anti-bacterial compound present in coriander protects our body from food borne diseases.
13. Natural compounds present in coriander leaves helps to remove toxic heavy metals from the body without any side-effects. Accumulation of heavy metals in our body can cause many hazardous health issues including memory loss and Alzheimer’s disease.
14. Coriander contains high amounts of iron, which helps in curing anemia.
15. Coriander helps and protects our body against urinary tract infections.
Above are best 15 health benefits of coriander. Fresh and deep green coriander or cilantro leaves provide maximum health benefits. Soft and yellow coriander or cilantro leaves should be avoided.
Note – Coriander can produce an allergic reaction in some people.